Thursday 11 April 2013

Word for the Day...Friaked...Fried then Baked

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never heard my word for the day before.  I'm thinking I should give Webster's a call and let them know they can add it to next years edition.  Just to clarify, the base word is Friake, but while you're cooking you're Friaking and once your done you've Friaked and since you're the one doing the Friaking you can consider yourself a Friaker...I mean the possibilities are endless aren't they:)


Anywho, since I've decided that I'm a bona fide Friaker I wanted to try something out tonight.  First, I wanted to Friake some Tilapia, the last time I made it, it just didn't have enough the "crunch" for me and second, I've been chomping at the bit to try doing a Chili Lime version because I really want to use my Epicure Chili Lime Sansel. 

Friaked Chili Lime Tilapia

For the Marinade

1/4 c. Lime Juice
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Dried Cilantro
1/2 Tsp Coriander Seed
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp Honey
1/4 Tsp Celery Salt
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper

For the Breading

3/4 c. Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper

For the Fish

2 Tilapia Fillets
1-2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
1 Tbsp Mayo
1/4 Tsp Epicure Chili Lime Sansel
Salt & Pepper

Start off by combining all of the marinade ingredients together.  Place the fillets in a shallow bowl and pour the marinade all over, spooning some onto the top to make sure they are well covered.  Cover and put in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.


Into the Marinade for the Little Fishy's
While the fillets are hanging out in the fridge combine the mayo and Epicure Chili Lime Sansel with a little bit of salt and pepper. 


Chili Lime Sansel Mayo Mix...Doesn't that look yummy!!

Next up is the breading, mix all of the ingredients together in a shallow bowl and set aside until you're ready.


The Crispy Crunch for my Fishy's

About 10-15 minutes before you're ready to to start playing with your food preheat your oven to 400F.

Once the fillets are done marinading take one and allow it to drip off for a few seconds and then brush on some of the Chili Lime Mayo.



All done Marinading


Brushing on a Little Bit of Extra Flavor

From here it's into the breading...coat both sides really well, I will press the breading into the fillets to make sure I get a lot on there.


All Crunched Up and Ready to Go

Once the fillets are coated really well take a large frying pan and heat the Avocado Oil over medium high heat.  Add the fillets and pan fry about 2-3 minutes per side.  Take a wire rack lightly coated with oil on top of a baking sheet and carefully place the fillets on it. It's into the oven they go after that.


Out of the Frying Pan & Into the Oven Next

Cook them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.  You'll know they're done when they flake easily or have an internal temperature of 140-145F.


The Finished Product


We had ours with Roasted Asparagus and a mix of Black/Brown Rice with Shallots, Celery and Garlic...mmm...mmm good:)












Now that's a dinner worth finishing right there!! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Now I'm craving a fish and chips version :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:)

    I really liked this one, it gave the tilapia a lot of flavor.

    ReplyDelete