Friday 26 April 2013

Leftovers....What to Do???

How many people truly like leftovers??  

I have a confession to make...this girl doesn't...there's a few things that I don't mind but for the most part I just can't stand them.  I'm not alone in this, my grandpa, who was born in the 1930's, who can't stand waste, who thinks a slice of bread with gravy=dessert and who will grab anything off the side of the road that "seems" useful shares this trait with me.  There's just something about leftovers that DOESN'T turn my crank.  

So, what do I do with leftovers?? 

Well, when Aaron was working in Guelph and had access to a microwave for lunch, he had no problem taking leftovers for lunch, but those days are over and done with now.  Looks like I'm in between a rock and hard place when it comes to leftovers now:(  I guess it's time to get creative and figure out how to make use of what's left or reduce our portion sizes so much that we don't have any.  Reducing portion sizes isn't happening so it looks like figuring something out is the only way to go.  

So, Monday was a beautiful day and I fired up the grill for the first time this year and was so excited.  We had steaks and asparagus on the grill with some fried onions and the weirdo that I am, some hollandaise for my steak too.  Guess what, I was left with the dreaded leftovers...no asparagus, that was gone in no time, but there was plenty of steak left.  That's a big problem because leftover steak is on my "not a chance in hell am I reheating that and eating it" list.  What's a girl to do:(  Well this girl decided that fajitas would be a good idea to make use of the hunks of meat sitting in my fridge.  I bet you can guess what we had for dinner on Wednesday night...that's right, steak fajitas...bet you didn't see that coming...lol.  



Fajitas are always a quick and easy meal but I usually do chicken.  Since I was already changing it up I figured why not marinade the leftover meat after I sliced it up to give it some extra pizzazz so that's exactly what I did...hey, my kitchen, my rules right:)  Anyways, if you're a fan of fajitas this might just be something you want to check out cause I think I'm on to something here.  

Leftover Steak Fajitas

For the Marinade

1/2 c. Lime Juice
1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin

For the Fajitas

1-2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb Leftover Steak, cut into slices
2 Bell Peppers, cut into slices
1 Red Onion, cut into slices
1 Tbsp Epicure Fajita Seasoning
8 Flour Tortillas
Sour Cream, Salsa & Shredded Cheese

This recipe is so easy it's not even funny, I started it off by mixing all the ingredients for the marinade together and pouring it in a Ziplock bag with the steak slices and letting it marinade for about an hour, to be honest, I would probably give it more time the next time to boost the flavour.


Check out that garlic...I love garlic:)


Ready to hit the fridge.

Once the steak was done marinading I heated the olive oil over medium heat and added the steak.  I just grabbed it by the handful and tossed it in so it wouldn't be too liquidy with the marinade but if you want to add some of the marinade in with it feel free, you might have to add a little bit of cornstarch/flour to thicken it up though.  



Since the steak was already cooked I added the veggies right away, if it was uncooked I'd let it cook a bit before adding the veggies so they don't get to soft.



Once the veggies were in I added the tablespoon of Epicure Fajita Seasoning and stirred everything all up.  Then I let it basically heat up for about 7-8 minutes, until the veggies had softened up a bit.

That's it, that's all...when everything is ready to go it was fajita making time. 

So I always start off with a plain flour tortilla...well d'uh, don't we all:)



Then I add a little bit of sour cream.


Next up is some salsa.


Then the cheese.


Finally time for the meat and veggies.


And my finished product looks like this:)


I must say, not bad for leftovers...I may convert to a leftovertarian yet...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment