Monday 11 February 2013

Here Fishy, Fishy

Today is my first blogging recipe attempt.  Looking at so many other blogs I'm hoping I don't look like a total idiot...especially with my less then impressive camera skills, but hey, we all have to start somewhere. 

I'm not a huge fan of fish, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shellfish, my dad said the worst mistake he ever made was letting me try lobster when I was about 4, but fish has just never been a big favorite of mine.  The unfortunate part of this is that I'm trying to eat and cook more healthy foods and fish just happens to be up there on the list of "You Should Eat This".  So, guess what...Carrie's adding more fish to the menu. 

I found this recipe for Tilapia with Dijon and Panko Coating, which was originally posted by Diana Rattrey and it had a 4 out of 5 star review so I figured let's give it a whirl.  So, without furthur adieu, here is my attempt at blogging a recipe I cooked with my own two hands:)

Note: The original recipe is for 4 Tilapia fillets, but half of my family left me tonight, Aaron to go to a Leafs Game and Connor to take some horseback riding lessons so it was just January and I.  I knew we couldn't eat 4 fillets so I've cut everything in half.

Tilapia with Dijon and Panko Coating

2 Tilapia Fillets
1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 c. Fine, Dry Bread Crumbs
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Heat oven to 400F.  Lightly grease a large, shallow baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the mayonnaise and the mustard; brush on the tilapia fillets.



In a food processor, I used my my small Cuisinart 4-Cup Chopper/Grinder, combine the Panko, Fine Bread Crumbs, Paprika, Parsley, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper.  Pulse 4-6 times to combine. Pour the bread crumb mixture into a wide, shallow bowl.




Next up, dip the coated fillets in the mixture and turn to coat both sides.  Make sure they are coated well, I've been known to toss some on the top and press it into the fillet a little bit.

Put the fillets into your prepared baking dish.



Here's a Close Up:)



Bake the fillets for 15-18 minutes, if you're a freak for internal temperatures like I am you want it to be 140F at the thickest part of the fillet.  For normal people, the fish will flake easily with a fork when it's done.  Once they're done, carefully remove the fillets with a spatula and serve 'em up. 

Yummy Dinner

January & I had Oven Roasted Asparagus and Rice to go with ours. 
I've never seen January eat a meal so fast so I think it was a success:) For me, I think Tilapia is kind of bland so the next time I'm going to try to find a good marinade to add some flavour to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment