Saturday 16 February 2013

Experimenting with Arrowroot

I like to purchase some off hand things every now and then, stuff you wouldn't normally find in my pantry and one of my more recent purchases is Arrowroot Flour.  After checking out the ingredients on a box of January's Arrowroot Cookies/Biscuits and not really liking what I saw I thought to myself, why can't I make my own.  So off I went to find some arrowroot flour and scan the internet for some recipes.  I'm not gonna lie, arrowroot recipes are hard to come by and so far I've tried two that are both pretty good but I'm still on the hunt for that Mr. Christie Arrowroot Cookie taste.


Today, I tried a Toasted Arrowroot Cookie recipe submitted by Jami Delgado that I found on Eat Nourishing.  I didn't have everything exactly that was called for so I had to adapt it a bit to suit what was here.  The cookies are tasty, especially if you like coconut because there's coconut oil and milk in them.  I also believe that they're gluten free since there's no wheat in them, any gluten free people out there, let me know based on the ingredients if I'm right on this one.

Toasted Arrowroot Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

320 grams (approx. 2 1/2 cups) Arrowroot Flour, plus extra for dusting
1 cup Turbinado Sugar (the original calls for Coconut Sugar)
1 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1 Egg Yolk
1/4-1/2 cup Coconut Milk (the original called for 1/4-1/3 cup and it wasn't enough, I used closer to the 1/2 cup)
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Salt

Gather all your ingredients up and preheat your oven to 425F.


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the arrowroot flour to it.  You're going to toast it in the oven for about 10 minutes, stirring it around about 3 times.

When the 10 minutes is up, allow the flour to cool a little bit and lower your oven temperature to 350F.  This next step is a bit of a mystery to me, and a little messy, put the flour and sugar in a food processor and blend it until the sugar is powdery.  If you don't have a food processor you could just sift it into a bowl.



 Once the flour and sugar has been blended, dump it in your mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.  Only add about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and if you need more add it as you go.  Knead the dough in your mixing bowl, you want the dough to barely come together, almost like a pie crust dough. 

Still Need More Milk

Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, remember that additional flour for dusting, use that up now or roll it on a piece of wax paper, which is what I usually do.  You want it to be about 1/4" thick.  Cut out your cookies using whatever you have on hand, a biscuit/cookie cutter, glass, your kids Play-Doh cutters, whatever floats your boat. 

I used a 2 1/2" Biscuit Cutter
Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them at 350F for about 15 minutes. 

I wanted to experiment a bit so I used a fork to poke holes in some of them and the other ones I left alone.


Poked
Unpoked


















I found that the unpoked cookies were more bubbled up and cracked when I pulled them out of the oven.

Poked

Unpoked
I figured the best test would be to see what January thought of them, so after her nap I gave my taste tester a cookie to see what she thought.


While she looks miserable here, it's more because she's teething and had just gotten up...after she devoured this cookie, she wanted another and then I had to hide them because figured she wanted them all.

All in all, these are a pretty decent cookie, not quite Mr. Christie, but good in a crunchy, toasted marshmellow tasting kind of way:)  I'm still on the hunt for the Mr. Christie cookie taste but I can't complain about these.

2 comments:

  1. Rowan has faith you will find him and January a perfect Arrowroot! Miss. Carrie's Arrowroot! Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deanna,

      I'll have to bring some over for him to try:)

      Delete